03 October 2008

Meg's adventures in Yoga....

My latest development in reclaiming my posture.... (The life of a girl with scoliosis...)

I haven't been able to lay on my tummy and look right in YEARS. My neck wouldn't turn that way - it just wouldn't. The muscles were to tight and such and I couldn't comfortably lay with my head looking right - a pain cause I used to sleep in my tummy lots. (Not in years cause I found out from an old chiropractor that it is really very bad for you to do that!)

ANYWAY - last night at my torture yoga class we were doing the many posses of cobra and alligator torture. (Google those poses if you want some vision of my torture...) They are ROUGH! So, during a moment of relaxation from cobra 2 easy (YEAH RIGHT) I (without thought) laid with my head to the RIGHT.

THEN IT HIT ME - I am not supposed to be able to do this. But here I am, laying here doing it... So, of course, without thought I did that stupid thing I do (quick suck in of air and small (oook not so small) gasp - which of course interrupted everyone's moment of silence. Sigh.... Well, since I already interrupted, they might as well rejoice with me in our common pain leading to gain.... The class was greatly pleased, or they could have been trying to shut me up, who knows cause I was starring at their collective b-hinds as they lay on their mats...

So, that's my story! I can now look right, check the cars coming to the right, lay on the right side, and sit up straighter than I have in YEARS.... All this and only TWO full weeks of yoga regularly! Who knows what I will be doing in several months. Although our dear teacher did threaten us with the idea of holding cobra for over FIVE min. some day. Help....

0 comments: